Minerals And Vitamins That You Can Take For Your Thyroid
Here are some minerals and vitamins you must have in your diet if you want to battle hypothyroidism effectively:
- Selenium: This is a trace mineral which is found in very little quantities in the body, yet is very important for its proper functioning. It helps in the regulation of the thyroid and keeps it healthy. There are a number of sources which are high in selenium, such as tuna fish, beef and cod. If you are a vegetarian, you could opt for Brazil nuts instead, to give you the right amount of selenium.
- Iodine: You probably know that low levels of iodine can cause the thyroid to malfunction. Iodine deficiency can result in hypothyroidism and in the disease of goitre. This means that it is necessary to regulate iodine well. There are many sources of iodine which you can turn to if you want to get the right amounts of it in your diet: sea kelp, iodized salt, yogurt, sea fish etc. are good for getting iodine.
- Zinc: Zinc is a mineral that goes into the process of production of thyroid. Zinc can be found in plenty of food sources we have every day: cow’s liver, beef, lamb are the best animal sources of zinc. The best vegetable sources are asparagus and summer squash.
- Copper: Copper is used in the production of a number of hormones, and among them are also the thyroid hormones. Low levels of copper can affect thyroid hormone production. Summer squash is a very good source of copper.
- Iron: It is a good idea that people why hypothyroidism should eat food which is high in iron content. Some of these are lentils, red meat, romaine lettuce and so on. There are also many herbs which will give you a lot of iron. Some examples are thyme and turmeric.
- Tyrosine: This is an amino acid which is again used to produce hormones that are secreted by the thyroid gland. You will see, if you read labels of thyroid medication, that a lot of them contain tyrosine. You can easily obtain tyrosine from a number of foods: tuna fish, cod and sea kelp are some. Dairy products are also important and there are also a number of fruits, such as banana and avocado. You will see that many of these also contain iodine and selenium.
- Vitamins: Vitamins C, B and E are essential if you want to overcome your hypothyroidism. An acute deficiency of Vitamin B is to be seen in those who have hypothyroidism. You do not have to worry, though, as you can get these vitamins from a number of foods. Examples are grains, eggs, dairy, leafy vegetables etc. For Vitamin C, you can try a lot of tasty citrus fruit and their juices.
Supplements of the above-mentioned minerals and vitamins are also allowed, but it is best if you get these from fresh food sources.
At the same time, you should also ensure that you shun some foods which make hypothyroidism worse. Processed, packaged foods are not a good idea at all, and you should also try to limit the carbs which you ingest on a daily basis.
If you want to learn more about the diet you should follow to get relief from hypothyroidism, you should go for Hypothyroidism Revolution, which is a complete guide to getting over this disease. It is very affordable and definitely gives results.
About the Author
As a women who has hypothyroidism, I would like to share all of my knowledge to all of you about hypothyroidism and how can you make change of your life.